Why I Stopped Going to Church

Photo Credit: relevantmediagroup.com
Photo Credit: relevantmediagroup.com

I walked into the sanctuary

But the silence made it seem as though I was in the mortuary

As I stepped in,

I could see the judging eyes under the big black hats

I could hear them murmuring-

Yes, I was a sinner

But I didn’t need these saints’ accusing glances

I pulled my short dress down to conceal my bruises

My hair was long and free

Something the usher called ‘wild’

As she handed me a rumpled handkerchief

With an undisguised disgust across her face

Then there was the offering which we gave 3 different times!

I barely had enough to feed myself,

And I felt it was just a means to exploit the poor

God definitely didn’t need all that cash!

I could perceive the pretense in the air

People trying to be ‘holier than thou’

The pride and prejudice in the church wrapped its slimy hands around me,

My thoughts were not focused on God who I came to see,

But on these people whose approval I desperately needed

God I couldn’t see, but these hypocrites I sawโ€ฆ

I went back home worse than I came,

So much for Christianity and the love of God

I said under my breath as I told myself I’d never attend church again…

Broken and empty on a Saturday night,

Lying abandoned with no one in sight,

I heard Him speak clearly,

That He loved me so dearly,

My heart was like the troubled waters,

But He spoke great calm,

As he led me to the church I belonged to.

Photo Credit: chastityproject.com
Photo Credit: chastityproject.com

I saw people worshiping in truth and spirit,

Offering to help me in every little way,

I felt a quilt of peace around me

As I breathed in His presence

Soaking myself in the pool of His blood

I had never felt cleaner,

Those that be planted in the house of the Lord shall flourish in the courts of our God-Psalm 92:13

A church is a hospital for sinners

Not a museum for saints,

Unfortunately a lot of people have stopped going to church

Because of the saints who showed them no care,

The clergy who condemned them,

And a lot more reasons…

But why stop the flow of blessings

Because you hate the channels used?

God longs for you to worship Him

Make it a date this Sunday! ๐Ÿ˜€

ยฉย Mfon Etuk, 2015

IMG_4416
Photo credit: christianfunnypictures.com

PS: The second part of the Forsakenย series will soon be out. Please be patient ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

13 thoughts on “Why I Stopped Going to Church

eddy said:
    June 26, 2015 at 5:01 PM

Hmmm, God help us to fulfill our purpose as His own

Fashionable Librarian said:
    June 26, 2015 at 6:28 PM

Reblogged this on Concierge Librarian.

fearfullywonderfullyme said:
    June 26, 2015 at 6:35 PM

Thank you for sharing your heart with us! It’s so true that sometimes as children of God we can act judgmental and “holier” than newcomers/non-believers. The truth is we are all ransomed sinners made pure through Christ. I find my church to be very welcoming and accepting of all different people–I hope you have found one that does too!

Liked by 2 people

Adaugo said:
    June 27, 2015 at 7:11 AM

This post is so profound and it is a call to all Christians to re-evaluate themselves and be sure that all their actions bring people to the loving savior rather than send them away. thank you for piece, God bless you.

Liked by 2 people

handwrittendevotion said:
      July 5, 2015 at 7:43 AM

I hear this complaint so often about the church that I attend. I have never felt this way. I come from a rather rough upbringing, and when I came into the church where I am now a member, it definitely showed: however, members were greeting me, learned about me, accepted me as I was, and watched as go worked within me. I poured myself into the church. Many blessings have I received since finding my church.

It seems to me that what many people perceive as the self-righteous judging by others, may, in reality, be the judgment they convey upon themselves.

July 6, 2015 at 5:01 PM

Very true indeed. I pray God helps us avoid self condemnation. Thanks!

TheKingsDaughter said:
    June 27, 2015 at 10:33 AM

Bless your heart Mfy! Thank God for still loving us as we are. Empty yet alive in His hands. I am the church; I mustn’t judge.

Zee said:
    June 27, 2015 at 11:58 AM

This was me couple of years back, judging people as they walked into church, either because of what they wore or how they looked. Not giving a thought to what made them come to church, what problems they had. Then I checked myself and found out I wasn’t any different and I needed to reevaluate my life.
    So Jay, this is a really exciting piece, one everyone should read.
    Well done!!

lord Vuma said:
    June 27, 2015 at 5:49 PM

Lovely

June 27, 2015 at 8:44 PM

I’m so glad this little piece has blessed our hearts and I pray that God helps us not to chase the lost sheep from his pasture ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks guys!

Adjarho Michael said:
    July 14, 2015 at 9:56 AM

Hmmm. Expository . The major reason why many sits at home on Sundays are purely highlighted in this post. They don’t even want to walk by the church. The Church now determine which cloth is worthy to be cleaned. I’ve never being to a laundry house to see a cloth leave the same way it came in. Even in terms of givingยฎReligious
    Extortion. Someone says “The goals of our present churches can be categorized into A,B & C.
    A> ATTENDANCE
    B> BUILDING
    C> CASH
    The watchmen have focused their attention into building structures and cathedral instead of building the lives if the Individuals first.
    As I was reading this post. The Bible passage below was what I was pondering on. Where has the church got it all wrong?
    Can this portion of the scripture be evident in our time ?Acts 4:
    32ย The group of believers was one in mind and heart. None of them said that any of their belongings were their own, but they all shared with one another everything they had. 33ย With great power the apostles gave witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and God poured rich blessings on them all. 34ย There was no one in the group who was in need. Those who owned fields or houses would sell them, bring the money received from the sale, 35ย and turn it over to the apostles; and the money was distributed according to the needs of the people.

36ย And so it was that Joseph, a Levite born in Cyprus, whom the apostles called Barnabas (which means โ€œOne who Encouragesโ€), 37ย sold a field he owned, brought the money, and turned it over to the apostles.
    Thanks M for this wonderful epistle.

July 14, 2015 at 1:37 PM

Wow! Thank you so much for that eye opener. Indeed that’s the type of church we should all try to be. Thanks for the scriptural reference. I know i’m quite late but a big happy birthday to you! God bless you! ๐Ÿ™‚

flamexpressions said:
    July 16, 2015 at 9:50 PM

Reblogged this on flamexpressions.