Through the Fire

Posted on

fire

Lately, I have been going through a lot of crappy things. I sleep with depression and dine with bitterness. Seems like I’ve lost all hope. Close friends are tired of hearing me whine over and over again about it. Every day I read some devotional about how Jesus can get us through the mess or pull us out of the pit- but for some weird reason I feel this isn’t for me. Not another motivational talk please. I’m tired and my mind is completely weary. No one can fully understand the depth of this. Many nights I’ve prayed for Him to come and take me home. Just end my despair please! But that still doesn’t work.

While listening to Joyce Meyer’s teaching yesterday, she said something like God may not change your situation but He will change you. I cringed at the sound of that. Yet another depressing pill to swallow. I and God have been a little distant lately. I mean, I’m going through a lot of crap which no one understands- I’m naïve enough to think God doesn’t really get me. Come on! He’s got the power to end it but chooses not to. I feel betrayed by that! 😦

If I had a kid that was being bullied at school, I’d probably take him out of that school. Can’t have my child crying all day, every day. But with God it’s different. He says stay in the school, I’ll strengthen you to withstand the bullies. I’ll build patience in you to deal with different types of people. I’ll walk with you through the valley of the shadow of death. I’ll be with through the waters, I’ll be with you through the rivers and through the fire (Isaiah 43:2) Gee! Why don’t we use the bridge instead of going through the waters? Why not use fire extinguishers to quench the fire so I could walk through?

I may not fully grasp these things. But I know I can’t keep pushing Him away anymore. Besides, it’s not like I have any alternative place to get solutions from. I only have Him. So I’m laying down my pride and the control reins. I know the situation may not change for a while, but (takes a very deep breath) I’m willing to let Him work the change in me. I know a lot of things in my life have to be burned off through the fire.

I’m not gonna lie and say the process won’t suck. Left to me, I’d rather skip it. But who do we become if we do not overcome challenges that come our way? Who do we become if we continue to avoid pain and displeasure? Not sure I want to find that out. However, I’m certain that the fire won’t consume me because He has promised it won’t. Just as gold has to be tried by the fire, so must we. But we’ll definitely come out more beautiful!

Besides, God is as realistic as any true friend can be; He doesn’t tell us life will be a bed of roses, He reminds us that the thorns are there to prick us back from our daydreams. It may not be literal waters, river and fire we’ll have to go through, but bad stuffs would happen, challenges will arise, tough situations will come. The question is; do you freak out? Sulk like me? Or turn to the one who promised to be with you through it all?

valley

This post talks to me personally and I hope it also speaks to your heart. I pray for the grace to trust God especially in trying times. And that at the end of it all, we’ll share our testimonies together! Thank you for listening to my somewhat uncoordinated train of thoughts today 🙂 You guys are the best! God bless you! ❤ ❤ ❤

Oh please feel free to comment, I’d love to hear from you too!

©Mfon Etuk, 2016

28 thoughts on “Through the Fire

Lilacs and Stuff said:
    March 6, 2016 at 3:01 PM

Reblogged this on Lilacs and stuff.

maryrose921 said:
    March 6, 2016 at 3:19 PM

Thank you for sharing your struggles. It is a great reminder that “life happens” even as a Christian. If He brought you to it, He’ll get you through it!! Praying for you, sister!

March 6, 2016 at 3:53 PM

Thank you for the prayers and encouragement Maryrose! God bless you!

Courtney said:
    March 6, 2016 at 4:33 PM

So sorry to hear that you’re going through a rough time! I’ll be praying for you. Great post though! God is always bigger the the trials that we face!
    God Bless!
    Courtney

March 6, 2016 at 6:53 PM

Yes indeed He is! Thank you so much Courtney for your prayers. God bless you too!

sesanchuks said:
    March 6, 2016 at 4:42 PM

May God in his ways give you the strength to go on. You a soldier, don’t give up, all this tests, trials is to make you strong, it’s to refine you, as mud passes through fire to complete it’s molding process, gold is refined by fire. In the end you would come out stronger, better, wiser, Like they say there are no victors without battles, you need to actually win to become a victor.

March 6, 2016 at 6:54 PM

Amen! Very true! Thank you Sesan for the strong words of encouragement. God bless you!

roach59 said:
    March 6, 2016 at 5:26 PM

Definitely GOD WILL get you through this. There are so many stories I can tell you that relate to what you’re dealing with but I won’t bore you with all of them. I can remember having a couple of bullies earlier in school but as soon as I stood up to them, they became NOTHING…absolutely NOTHING. It’s funny how most of the stuff that we deal with is mainly IN OUR MINDS. I learned over the years one main thing: DON’T PULL TOMORROW’S CLOUDS…OVER TODAY’S SUNSHINE!!! Be Blessed!

March 6, 2016 at 6:55 PM

Thank you so much for sharing TJ. I’ll keep these words with me. God bless you!

Fearfully Wonderfully Me said:
    March 6, 2016 at 6:40 PM

I love your honesty M! I know these feelings all too well, and it can be very hard to trust in the Lord. Usually when nothing else helps singing and praising to worship music will! And of course, the devil tries to keep me too busy to do that. Keep coming to Him and He will be faithful 🙂

March 6, 2016 at 6:56 PM

I’m glad you can relate to this, Emily. Thanks for the encouragement. I’ll sure try and worship even when ‘I don’t feel like’ it. God bless you!

Fearfully Wonderfully Me said:
        March 6, 2016 at 7:21 PM

God bless you too! I think that is what God likes best–even if we don’t think it’s adequate. Keep it up girl 🙂

El VUMA said:
    March 6, 2016 at 7:29 PM

Thanks mfon

March 7, 2016 at 9:36 AM

Thank God! And thank you Vee for your constant support. God bless you!

Grace Ogunleye said:
    March 7, 2016 at 3:17 PM

Reblogged this on GraysBibi Writes and commented:
    Happy new week! Hope your weekend was a great as mine?

I came across this article yesterday and I thought to share.
    I can totally relate to this post because I just got through my own “fire”. You may feel like you’ll never get through it but I assure you, you will!

Enjoy!

oyide said:
    March 8, 2016 at 1:24 PM

This is amazing! It was totally my story last month…Going through a phase of a painful Project. The testimony is Proverbs 24:18 ‘For surely there is an end and thine expectation shall not be cut off.’ The pain is over! 💃💃💃😂😃
    Amen. Indeed, He is a faithful God. Do not be discouraged dear…God is eternally in control. It is well 😃💯🙏👏💃🙌

March 8, 2016 at 6:59 PM

Amen. Thanks for sharing your testimony and the wonderful encouragement! God bless you! 🙂

oyide said:
        March 8, 2016 at 7:29 PM

You’re welcome. God bless you too dear

D'Dream said:
    March 9, 2016 at 1:54 AM

I left a comment on this post yesterday but it wasn’t delivered. Guess its network issue.

Jesus didn’t promised us a problem free life on earth but he promised to be with us through it all.

March 9, 2016 at 9:22 AM

Yeah, very true! Thanks for stopping by! 🙂

Tobi said:
    March 9, 2016 at 3:02 AM

Awesome piece! This actually relates to me personally. In times of trouble, I’ve learned to ask God questions like I’d do to a close friend. I’ve also discovered that He answers, because He is a rewarder of those that seek Him. Jehoshaphat is an example from the Bible.

Excerpt from 2 Chronicles 20 when enemies prepared to wage war against Judah:

– Alarmed, Jehoshaphat resolved to inquire of the Lord…

– Then Jehoshaphat stood up in the assembly of Judah and Jerusalem at the temple of the Lord in the front of the new courtyard and said:
    “Lord, the God of our ancestors, are you not the God who is in heaven? You rule over all the kingdoms of the nations. Power and might are in your hand, and no one can withstand you!

– God said: “Listen, King Jehoshaphat and all who live in Judah and Jerusalem! This is what the Lord says to you: ‘Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God’s!

We all go through battles, so long we’re on this earth, but it’s a great opportunity to get to depend on God once again letting go of our pride. No wonder Paul says ‘we glory in our trials’ because it works some virtues in us (changes us like Joyce Meyer said).

So whatever happens we trust GOD, right? (quoted from Crazy Faith, sound track- War room 🙂 )

March 9, 2016 at 9:25 AM

Thank you so much Tobi for the encouragement. Yeah we trust God no matter what happens 🙂 Glad you dropped by. God bless!

Adjarho Michael said:
    March 11, 2016 at 12:15 PM

Nice Piece M. This surely does relates to me and it’s a clear description of what some of us has gone or currently going through right now and even I type , there are still questions running through my mind but thanks for the sincerity of this post. There are most times in my life when there are situations, questions that I need answers to but those answers are not forth coming then I realized that when we are faced with difficulties in life , we see ourselves as not being able to scale through and thoughts begin to spring forth but HE that watches from above always sees us at the other side of the tunnel. He sees us at the victory side, but when He knows that we are going to make a wrong path He shows up with His own Helper right on time. This piece reminds me if a line in the movie ‘COURAGEOUS’ which says “HE HAS NOT PROMISED US ANY EXPLANATION TO THINGS THAT HAPPENS TO US BUT HE HAS PROMISED TO GO THROUGH THOSE TIMES WITH US.
    Here’s one of my favorite Hymns that I love so much that dwells on the promises of God to his own
    SS&S 543. I will Guide Thee
    Precious promise God hath given
    To the weary passer-by,
    On the way from earth to heaven,
    ” I will guide thee with Mine eye”
    chorus
    “I will guide thee, I will guide thee
    I will guide thee with Mine eye;
    On the way from earth to heaven,
    I will guide thee with Mine eye”
    2. When temptations almost win thee,
    And thy trusted watchers fly,
    Let this promise ring within thee:
    ” I will guide thee with Mine eye.”
    3. When thy secret hopes have perished
    In the grave of years gone by,
    Let thus promise still be cherished,
    ” I will guide thee with Mine eye.”
    4. When the shades of life are falling,
    And the hour has come to die,
    Hear thy trusty Leader calling,
    ” I will guide thee with Mine eye. ”

❇He’s promises still remain pure and truth❇
    Having a great look to what He has done for us in the past gives us the strength that we will always scale through and those questions and thoughts will be answered at the right time and when He does, It will seem as though one has never gone through those times.

March 12, 2016 at 8:48 PM

As always, I love how you expand on the post and provide insights I hadn’t paid attention to! I love that hymn! Thank you for the encouragement! It’s so good when we encourage each other. Remain blessed Mike!

Who Do You Think You Are? – Sesan's Blog said:
    March 12, 2016 at 8:12 PM

[…] Related Article: Through The Fire […]

Eddy said:
    March 12, 2016 at 9:19 PM

u spoke to me dear, i know it can only get better ! Just keep holding on.