Short term goals for the month and why?
I took a course back in school titled ‘Total Man Concept; TMC (Shout-out to the CU peeps who didn’t sleep through this!) and I can’t count how many times goal setting was discussed. I also learnt that goals have to be SMART!
In line with the principles learnt about goal setting, here are my goals for the month.
- Apply for transcripts from school (to continue my applications for further studies)
- Spend more ‘alone’ time with God daily (this has been really hard with the hustle and bustle of Lagos but it’s way too crucial to be overlooked)
- Complete the books I started reading (Long overdue!)
- Keep abreast of current happenings by reading news sites everyday (*sobs* Wish I didn’t have to!)
- Exercise daily and keep a healthy diet (staying fit is key!)
- Complete my blog challenge (Yes we can!)
- Contact close friends and family every week (I’m still learning how to sustain relationships-very important!)
Of course, these goals are a bit vague but I have some action plans drawn out and timelines set on how to achieve them (wouldn’t wanna bore you with my charts and graphs). The main work lies in ‘following through’.
For me, it’s not the goal setting that is the issue. Following through with my already set goals is pretty difficult. I have to be coerced, persuaded, or cajoled (and I don’t like any of those things).
Truth is, you need to be accountable to a friend or a family member when setting goals. They constantly remind you and keep you on track.
Most importantly, you need to let God know of your goals to ensure they align with His own plans for you. If not, you’d end up making double waka (Remember Jonah, who was to go to Australia but decided to first head towards Africa for some Nigerian jollof rice-we all know I made up the destinations) and yes! Our jollof rice is that awesome! You should visit my Calabar Kitchen sometime 😉
Have you made any goals for the month? Or all you have are the New Year Resolutions (which you intend to copy and paste for the next year)?
It’s not too late. Make SMART goals and get good friends that would hold you accountable. Remember the key is aligning your plans with God’s word.
Open up before God, keep nothing back; he’ll do whatever needs to be done: He’ll validate your life in the clear light of day and stamp you with approval at high noon. -Psalms 37:5-6 (MSG)
This challenge is not just about me, but you too. You should totally set up goals for the month (and share with us if you don’t mind-we’ll keep you accountable)
Day 5 down, 26 more to go!
Let’s do this!